twitter

Friday, December 11, 2009

Leviathan, by Scott Westerfeld.



I just finished reading Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld last night, and it was one of the best books I've read in a long time.

I actually picked it up at a bookstore a few weeks ago, but put it back down, after reading that it was about WWI. I generally don't enjoy books that are about modern history, prefering to read about the adventures of Aeneas, prince of Dardanos during the Trojan war. If you know me, you know all about Aeneas. ;)

But I was in another book store, and it's beautiful steampunky cover made me stop and have another look at it. It was only $20, I wanted a book and it looked nice. I know people say you should never judge a book by it's cover, but I did anyway, and went ahead and bought it.

To my surprise, I loved it.

"It is the first in a Young adult fiction trilogy set in an alternate history World War I, wherein the Central Powers (Clankers) are characterized by their use of mechanized war machines, while the Entente Powers (Darwinists) are characterized by their use of living creatures evolved specifically for war. The main character is the teenage son of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, and his love interest a cross-dressing Scottish girl." - Wikipedia

About a chapter in, I stopped to text Shane about the new book I'd bought. My text was something along the lines of "History, science, steampunk and robots- this book is the greatest".

I continued to read. I would've loved to get it all done in a day, but as difficult as it was to put down- I had to. I'm meant to be on holiday, spending time with my grandparents.

I finally finished it last night, and immediately hopped online to find some information on the next book. Unfortunately, as Leviathan was only released in October (?) it'll be quite a wait.

Damnit.

Anyway, I followed Scott Westerfeld on Twitter (@scottwesterfeld) and am planning to buy some more of his other books sometime soon- I saw a box set for only $30.

I decided to blog about it, hopefully filling in some more time before the sequel is released. Because I want it. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment